Friday, March 17, 2017

The Warmest February

February 2017 was one of the warmest North Carolina has ever seen.  There were days and days of 70 degree weather, and sometimes nearing 80.

Usually, I love warm weather, can't stand the cold.  But  during this warm weather, my mother grew very ill, and I found out that my mother had stage 4 for cancer in her lungs and thyroid that had spread from literally only God knows (she never had a biopsy).

So the warm weather began to just feel weird and foreboding, like my world was about to be flipped upside down.

And sure enough, in the early morning hours of March 14th (1 day day after my 42nd birthday, and one day after the 12th anniversary of my father's death), my mother died.

And we buried her on March 16th (just yesterday) It was a little over 40 degrees, and I was wearing a coat that she had bought me almost 20 years ago and a sweater, the last Christmas present my dad had ever given me.

It was sunny and cold, and I was grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment